Vision Forward is a cutting-edge non-profit organization serving people with vision loss for over 103 years. We are currently seeking an Orientation & Mobility Specialist to join our team.
Orientation & Mobility Specialist
The Orientation and Mobility Specialist will provide assessment and training to a wide range of clients with visual impairment and will be responsible for appropriate documentation. This person will participate as a member of a multidisciplinary team that includes technology instruction, occupational therapy, support, and optometry.
Vision Forward is recognized as the premier agency serving people of all ages with vision loss in Wisconsin. We empower, educate, and enhance the lives of individuals impacted by vision loss through all of life’s transitions. Our vision is that all individuals with vision loss have reached their full potential to lead active and independent lives.
Responsibilities to fulfilling the Vision Forward mission:
- Promote the dignity of all people living with vision loss.
- Provide exceptional customer service.
- Maintain a positive, cohesive, transparent, and family-friendly environment.
- Assesses clients’ orientation and mobility skills. Working with the client establishes specific and appropriate goals and plans for attaining goals. Recommends appropriate equipment and training for meeting those goals.
- Provides orientation and mobility training in various environments focused on assisting the clients in achieving their goals. Monitors client progress toward goals and adjusts training as needed.
- Works with all Vision Forward staff in the development of innovative programs for adults, youth, and children that foster independent travel skills and motivates clients to use them.
- Educates clients and family members about their particular diagnosis, functional implications, potential interventions, benefits of vision rehabilitation, and other resources within and beyond Vision Forward.
- Completes documentation, billing, and other reporting in a timely and accurate manner. Provides appropriate correspondence for referral sources, like eye care professionals and DVR. Maintains up-to-date and accurate records. Completes accurate entries into electronic medical record. Maintains assigned daily, monthly, and annual reports.
- Actively work and participate in collaboration with members of the Adult Rehabilitation Services team. Makes appropriate cross referrals. Actively participates in team meetings and activities.
- Serves as a resource for clients, families, team members, professionals, and the general community in orientation and mobility. Presents information to groups, participates in health fairs, and markets to referral sources.
- Stays current in practices related to orientation and mobility, medical aspects of vision loss, and devices available for people with vision loss.
The perfect candidate will possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor or master’s degree in Orientation and Mobility, Rehabilitation Teaching / Vision Rehabilitation Therapy, or related field.
- Certification through ACVREP with COMS.
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team.
- An outcome and client focused approach to service delivery.
- Strong self-motivation, an innovative spirit, and a desire to exceed expectations of clients, colleagues, and the organization.
- Must always represent Vision Forward in a professional, respectful, and courteous manner.
- Experience with assistive technology instruction including screen readers, screen magnification, Braille displays, computer keyboarding, and smart phones/tablets. Certification as a CATIS, or interest in obtaining is preferred.
- Experience with Braille instruction for children or adults. Certification as a TVI preferred.
- Experience and comfort serving children and families with diverse backgrounds.
- Good computer skills and competence in Microsoft Office, Word, Outlook, and Excel. Ability to use an electronic medical record system.
- Clear understanding of HIPAA, FERPA and privacy regulations.
- A valid Wisconsin Driver’s License, proof of insurance and use of a personal automobile is required.
Pay and benefits:
- Holidays – New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Memorial and Labor Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, and the Friday after, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- Health, Dental and vision
- Company provided cell phone and laptop
- Strong, experienced, supportive team